You have fresh wilted basil in your fridge and you have no idea what to do with it? Pesto sauce is the answer! Traditionally, pesto sauce is made with basil, pine nuts, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper but this recipe is different than the traditional pesto sauce. How? Pistachios and lemon zest make this sauce uniquely tangy and creamy with nutty flavor. Without sacrificing the flavor of the sauce, I was sneaky and I added a handful of fresh baby kale which has great health benefits with detoxifying properties. This sauce is not only delicious, creamy and super easy to make but it is also rich in antioxidants, healthy fats and fiber with antimicrobial properties. Enjoy!
Process pistachios and garlic in a food processor for about 10-15 seconds. Add basil leaves, Parmesan, zest, lime juice olive oil, salt and pepper until thoroughly pureed. Transfer to a small bowl, top it with olive oil and store in the refrigerator.
- You can use the sauce as a dip and serve it with raw vegetables
- Use it as a spread on your favorite sandwiches
- Use it as sauce for grilled fish, poultry, meat and vegetables
- Use it as a marinated for seafood, meat, poultry or meat
- Combine a tablespoon of the sauce with lemon juice and olive oil for a salad dressing